Sunday, September 29, 2013

Introductions

Greetings.

If you have found your way here to find out about 1980s goth and its artifacts, you may have come to the wrong place. Not that I don't like the Sisters of Mercy or whatever, but that isn't quite the point of this blog.

If you want to hear me wax poetic about More Product, Less Process, EAD, and black eyeliner getting on my white cotton gloves, then yes, you are in the right place.

My name is Christy. I am an archives student at Queens College, in my last semester of study. I currently intern at a medical school archive, taking care of processing a collection. That's one of my three classes this semester. I also am doing a class on XML which will hopefully aid me in working with EAD (Encoded Archival Description). I'm also writing my capstone, aka "my thesis." Professionally, I have worked for the city doing records management assistance, as well as working as an archival technician. I also have worked at a music archive as a Jill-of-all-trades intern. 

Inside and outside the archive, I dress in layers and layers of black clothing, tend to blast Project Pitchfork and the Cure while working, and go to club nights where I can dance until 4am--at least in theory. Thanks to my work schedule, I tend to fall asleep around midnight these days. You may hear about this a bit in this blog, so I might as well warn you in the title.

This blog will serve a few functions. I will discuss items that interest me in publications--many of them relating to my thesis. I will discuss articles I read pertaining to archives that just interest me in general. And finally, one of the requirements of my internship is that I have to keep a journal. I have fun writing journal-like things. Why don't I just post them here?

The next few entries will all be updated tonight, as they are journals. Hopefully I will continue to write them on a regular basis. There will be little identifying information about my workplace, but you will get a taste of what it's like for me to work where I do.

And this is the part where I begin.

Cheers,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment